My super-galactic travelling friends,
when you put anything on the internet, you do it for yourself of course, but you also hope that at least a few people might come across it, and even enjoy it. I'm no different.
While I haven't been posting on this blog for very long, and so don't expect many views at all, whenever my blog's analytics showed I'd had the occasional view here and there, it made me happy to know that someone found my blog.
My hope was that maybe, maybe I'd start getting ten or so views a day a few months in, and that it might increase as time went on, so it came as quite a shock to me that seemingly overnight, my views skyrocketed!
Did someone find my blog and post a link to it somewhere? Did something I write somehow get onto the first few pages of Google and people were finding it that way? And so I went to my blog's analytics info page, and discovered that I was getting hundreds of hits from Singapore and China.
While it's wonderful to receive views from anywhere in the world, this sudden influx all from the same two places, and the fact that they were all viewing my blog less for than a minute at a time, made me suspicious. And so, with an idea of what was already happening in my head I looked it up on Google.
My suspicious ended up being correct. Bots had descended on my blog, and I found many posts on Reddit and the like about other people's blogs also getting a sudden influx of views from the same two countries as well.
While they don't technically harm your blog, these bots skew your real analytics, so it looks like you're getting a ton of views when really it's more likely than not AI bots coming onto it for scraping purposes.
While I thought that was more likely than not the case, it was still disheartening to think that maybe one of your posts has gained traction, only to discover that it's actually just bots visiting your blog.
I do get the occasional one or two views from other countries though, so I'm going to be positive and assume those are real people who randomly stumbled across my blog rather than bots using VPNs.
I've now added Google analytics to my blog as that discounts bot activity, so hopefully I'll now have a better idea of how many real people are actually stopping by.
If you're a real person reading this, thank you so much for visiting and giving my blog a look, you've made this blogger very happy 😊💖


No comments:
Post a Comment