Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Refurbished Simba mattress fail

Super-galactic travellers,

I'm afraid today's blog post is a bit of a moan, but it's for, I feel, a good reason... 

Last year my partner wanted to get us a new mattress after both of us were having back issues with our then current one. He did a bunch of research and decided that a Simba mattress was the way to go.

However, they aren’t exactly cheap, and so he kept an eye out for a refurbished one from Simba's website, and finally got one which was delivered last April.

After a while we began noticing a couple of issues, like it not being as firm as advertised, and one side started to develop a bit of a dip, with that side also slightly bulging out like it had a hernia...

While we turned it around frequently as recommended it didn’t help. My partner tried fixing it by putting the mattress on its side, lumpy side down, in hopes of flattening it, but to no avail.

And that brings us to this last week. My partner asked me if I could take the top part of the mattress cover off as it had been so hot recently, and was in need of a good wash. When I went to taker it off, I realised there was a second zip that would take off the entire mattress cover.

Now call me daft, but it never occurred to me that this mattress would have a zip so you could strip it down to just the mattresses components if you wanted to, as all other mattresses I've had in the past had no way of doing that. Anyway, I proceeded to unzip where the lump was, only to discover

Photo showing ripped foam inside of a damaged refurbished Simba mattress

The foam was completely ripped and had come unglued, and there was a huge gap in the side because of it...no wonder it was sagging and jutting out!

Photo showing ripped foam inside of a damaged refurbished Simba mattress
I was rather shocked that a repurposed mattress would seemingly be fixed so badly...

Photo showing ripped foam with a gap inside of a damaged refurbished Simba mattress

While we knew there was an issue, the tightness of the mattress cover had been hiding the full extent of the damaged within.

I sent a photo to my partner to show him what I'd discovered, and so on the way back from work he got some spray glue to try and fix the issue. It seems to be holding for now, who knows for how long.

Refurbished ones only have a warranty for a year so it was too late to get a refund or a swap by this point. We could have contacted them sooner, but for a seemingly minimalish defect on a still usable mattress we felt it was more hassle than it was worth, so that's on us. If I'd seen the extent of the issue sooner though I would have definitely contacted them sooner.

Now this is just our personal experience with a refurbished Simba mattress. You and everyone you know could get one and they'd be perfect and give you all years of comfort, but I know if I was planning to buy one in the near future, I would find it helpful to know that this is a possibility, no matter how small, before spending money on one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third time's the charm?

Super-galactic travelling friends, why is receiving a delivery so dang hard!?