Thursday, 27 August 2026

Charity shop meals-Czech Cuisine

3D tomato lemon and fork divider

Super-galactic travelling friends, 

A couple weeks back I spotted a Czech cookbook that was written back in 1985, and is packed full of traditional recipes. I of course immediately snatched it up! Both my partner and I love the types of recipes it has inside, so I was excited to review something from it.

After going back and forth on what to pick as the first recipe, I ended up landing on cabbage baked with sausage

Czech Cuisine, cabbage baked with sausage, Zapečené zelí s klobásou

as it sounded tasty, we enjoy meals with sausages and bacon in them, and the recipe called for potatoes and gherkins which we already had and needed to use up, so this seemed like the perfect recipe to start with.

My partner cooked this one up for us, and this was the result!

Cooked meal using a recipe from the book Czech Cuisine, cabbage baked with sausage, Zapečené zelí s klobásou

He served it with leftover sauerkraut, an extra chunk of gherkin, and some sliced crunchy sourdough with a good slab of butter on the side.

For such a seemingly simple recipe and ingredients it was flipping delicious, and ridiculously filling thanks to all the cabbage. The oils from the sausage and bacon added so much flavour to the dish and made it very moreish.

The whole thing is cooked in the oven, giving the potatoes on top a lovely crunchy edge, which gave it an extra texture and finished it off perfectly. It's a meal I'd have again in the winter months when we're in the need for something tasty and hearty.

My partner really enjoyed it too and agreed that it would be a meal he'd have again, and it was also a very simple dish to put together which makes it perfect for when we want an easy to cook meal.

I found this book available on Ebay, so if you're interested in trying out this or other recipes yourself, you can (it's the one with a woman in traditional clothing carrying bread) plus the book has some wonderful vintage photographs of the recipes, as well as fun artwork dotted throughout.

After trying out this meal I'm excited to try some more in the future, and I think I already have our next one picked out...

3D tomato lemon and fork divider

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third time's the charm?

Super-galactic travelling friends, why is receiving a delivery so dang hard!?