Thursday, 20 August 2026

Charity shop meals-cooking from Classics of the American Midwest

Dear super-galactic travellers,

it's time for another charity shop meal, and boy do I have an interesting recipe to review for you today!

When I was visiting my parents earlier this year I popped into town to look around some charity shops, when I came across the cookbook, Classics of the American Midwest, presented by Lancaster County Medical Auxiliary Lincoln Nebraska.

I've watched the TikToker That Midwestern Mom who makes those Minnesota salads that aren't really salads videos lots of times, so when I came across this honest to goodness classic style Midwestern cookbook, there was no way I was leaving it behind.

Because I've always been intrigued to try a Midwestern salad, I decided to go for one of the savoury salads. After a quick browse I came across the hot chicken 'salad' recipe, which had one of the most interesting collection on ingredients I'd ever seen!

It included things like mayonnaise, stuffing mix, chicken soup, and water chestnuts! I've never seen a recipe that includes water chestnuts outside things like stir fries, so I was interested to know if it would work in a meal like this, and so picked this recipe to try.

I halved the recipe as we only wanted two portions, then set about trying to figure out what the heck things like a cups worth of ingredients even was!

I started by chopping up all the dry ingredients and adding it to a small baking pan

Photo of chopped chicken, celery and water chestnuts for a hot chicken salad

followed by all the wet ingredients, mixing it all through

Photo of chopped chicken, peppers, celery and water chestnuts with wet ingredients for a hot chicken salad

sprinkled some of the stuffing mix on top

Photo of chopped chicken, peppers, celery and water chestnuts with wet ingredients and stuffing mix sprinkled on top for a hot chicken salad
 
then popped it in the oven for half an hour, and this was the result!

Photo of a cooked hot chicken salad

Photo of a cooked hot chicken salad

It looked pretty good fresh out the oven, so I was looking forward to giving it a taste.

Photo of a cooked hot chicken salad served in a bowl plate
I'm going in!

And you know what...it wasn't too bad!

It was seasoned really well, which I was surprised by as the recipe didn't call for salt, so I'm glad I stuck to the recipe and just added pepper and lemon juice or it would have been way too salty. One thing I didn't like so much though was that the celery was still hard, and the water chestnuts felt a little odd as a texture in there. I do feel though that the wet ingredients along with the chicken, onions and pepper part of the recipe would work really well as a filling for a pie.

I'm glad I picked this recipe out as it was something I'd never heard of before, and so would have never had a chance to try otherwise. I discovered after cooking this that there are some more modern versions of the hot chicken salad recipe online, so I may try one of those in the future and see how they compare.

I look forward to trying many recipes within this book, and learning more about Midwestern style cooking along the way! 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third time's the charm?

Super-galactic travelling friends, why is receiving a delivery so dang hard!?