Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Spicy food reviews-Nightmare naga peanuts

chilli pepper divider
Super-galactic travelling friends,

I am a spicy food fiend, and am always on the look out for the newest spicy things for me to try.

I currently have a backlog of spicy foods and hot sauces I've bought here and there, and I'm always finding new ones to buy, so I thought it would be fun to write reviews of them on here talking about foods partner or I have spotted and bought, where I bought it from, and is it as spicy as advertised.

I personally have a highish spice threshold, so what I don't find overly spicy someone else might find very spicy, so take my ratings with a pinch of salt (or chilli flakes if you will) but I shall try my best to comment on how spicy the foods actually are. I'll also ask my partner, who likes spicy food on occasion but doesn't have as high a spice tolerance as me, to try stuff too to see where his spice rating is where possible, as some things I eat he would rather not try!

A couple years back I went to a local chilli cheese festival for the first time and had an absolute blast trying and buying a ton of spicy foods, so I was excited that I was able to go again this year with my partner and a couple of friends.

The first time I went there was a stall selling spicy snacks, and I bought myself some very tasty nuts from them, so I hoped the same stall would be back this time around. Thankfully they were, along with the same Nightmare naga chilli peanuts I bought two years previously (afraid I can't remember which company it was that were selling them there, but the peanuts are made by Grim Reaper Foods).

And so, I grabbed myself another tub!

Photo of a tub of nightmare Naga chilli peanuts

I finally opened them last week, and sadly, this time around I found them to be rather disappointing.

Photo of nightmare Naga chilli peanuts

That's not to say they're not spicy, they still pack a good punch of heat thanks to the Naga extract, but I feel like they don't have as much taste as last time. I remember the last lot were much more moreish, and the only thing stopping me from eating more and more handfuls was the heat. This time around though I'll have a couple, feel the heat, and go eh...then close the lid again.

I managed to find an old photo of the previous nuts I bought from them and can just about make out the ingredients, and they appear to be the same and in the same order, so I'm thinking maybe the ones I got this time just needed a lot more of the salt and the yeast extract, as I think it's the yeast extract that really came through last time.

I don't hate them though, and I will be eating the rest here and there, I just wish the flavour of them was as good as I remember the last time. I don't like unsalted nuts, or foods that are all heat and no flavour, and these come worryingly close to both those things. I'm thinking of spraying them with oil and adding some more salt to try and give them a bit more flavour, or maybe use them as an ingredient in other meals, like on top of noodles, so it doesn't matter so much about the lack of flavour.

I do plan to get these again next time I go to the chilli cheese festival, but I may end up being a bit cheeky and asking if I can pick a pack out myself, so I can get the one that looks like it's jam packed with as much seasoning as possible!

chilli pepper divider

No comments:

Post a Comment